I have finally started work on the next major update of the Fast video indexer software. For the last 2 years I have only done minor changes to the software, more in the line of bugfixes and I have implemented a few ideas from users. This has been good i think as I have been able to improve the core of the program, the actual video indexing part. But, so far I have gotten two major complains that I hope to fix with the next major update.
First of all people people are complaining about the user interface so it needs improvements. My idea at this point is to rewrite the user interface in c# and WPF but still use the tested video index engine that is written in c++. I will continue to use direct show for video frame extraction as it is the video api that has support for most video formats.
The other big problem i have is with crashing/buggy codecs that is causing the program to crash. To solve this I intend to launch the indexing of each video in its separate process, if that crashes at least it minimizes the risk of crashing indexing of other videos in a batch.
If you have ideas of what you would like to see in a new version of Fast video indexer please let me know either by posting here or by mailing me.